What is allergic contact dermatitis?
Allergic contact dermatitis is a skin reaction caused by natural allergens or chemicals, it manifests itself in the form of inflammation and reddening of the skin and itching. A typical sign of allergic dermatitis is the formation of blisters full of blood serum around the inflamed skin. If the blisters are broken by scratching because of itching, the blood serum forms scabs. If scratching because of the itch becomes too intense the skin can become infected.
What are the cause of allergic contact dermatitis?
Allergic contact dermatitis can be caused by contact with:
- chemical allergens: metals, colourings, resin, preservatives etc.
- natural allergens: oils, flower and tree essences etc.
What are the symptoms of allergic contact dermatitis?
Typical signs of allergic contact dermatitis are:
- red patches
- desquamation (skin peeling)
- sensations of itchiness or heat
How is allergic contact dermatitis prevented?
It is best to avoid all contact with the allergens once they have been identified and avoid any actions that may irritate or deplete the skin layers:
- avoid frequent washing or bathing
- do not let the skin dry out
- avoid the use of deodorants and/or perfumes
- pat the skin dry instead of rubbing it.
Treatment of allergic contact dermatitis
The immune system, and in particular the Mast cell, plays a vital role in protecting the skin; in this particular case the protective action takes the form of an allergic/inflammatory reaction instigated by the Mast cell, which is an essential event for repairing the damage in progress.
However essential the allergic/inflammatory process may be for restoring the health of the skin, it is accompanied more or less severely by annoying symptoms such as: Itching, Burning, Pain and Swelling.
These symptoms can be quickly brought under control, by enhancing the natural control mechanism of the allergic/inflammatory conditions (ALIA mechanism), typical of dermatitis.
The first-line topical therapeutic approach involves the use of preparations containing ALIAmides including:
- Adelmidrol (the only ALIAmide that can be absorbed by the skin), able to naturally modulate the skin Mast cell, guaranteeing a fast anti-irritative action and relief from itching.
In addition, applying Essential oil of Cloves and Bromelain (the active ingredient in pineapple) to the skin promotes a rapid anti-irritative action while at the same time soothing the affected skin.
Topical treatment with ALIAmides has demonstrated the total absence of side effects in individuals:
– with sensitive skin (Children and the Elderly);
– who are sensitive to topical treatment with cortisone;
– who have an immune deficiency.